Tuesday, September 14, 2010

It's All About the Head Gear!

One of my favorite accessories to wear to class on a not-so-beautiful hair day is my Troy Trojans pink ball cap! As I slipped it on the other day I remembered one of my favorite children's books, Caps for Sale! I love this book because it is fun to read with others and have group participation with. Also for new readers having trouble with sight words, this book is great to use for practice. :)

Caps for Sale!
by: Esphyr Slobodkina
Summary: Based on a folktale, the story follows the life of a mustachioed cap salesman who wears his entire stock of caps on his head — seventeen in all, as depicted on the title page (including his own cap). He strolls through towns and villages chanting, "Caps! Caps for sale! Fifty cents a cap!"

One day, the peddler sits down under a tree to take a nap, with all his wares still on his head. When he awakens, all the caps but his own are gone - stolen by a troop of monkeys, who now sit in the tree wearing them. See what happens when he decides to get his caps back!

The best activity to do with this book is find more hat books! I suggest "The Cat in the Hat" and another Seuss hat book, "The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins. Also, find your favorite hat and wear it while reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment